Thursday, November 8, 2012

Fix'n the Shoddy

I've had a customer in a young man, in his twenties, bringing me his guitars to fix and set up for the last couple years.  Always nice when I guy (or gal) is a repeat customer.  This guy is a stickler for tone.  He knows what he hears and strives to get it.  Good taste for a young guy, not that I didn't simply adore the Fender Stratocaster as well as most of the rest of the Fender family.  He called last month and asked if he could bring over his Wah pedal.  He found a broken wire under the bottom cover, and could I find the place to hook it back, and could he watch?  I said sure, but I have stuff on the grill and would tend them both. 
   It was the black wire going to the 9 V battery holder.  The ground side of the battery connector.  I scanned the circuit board for solder points near the red or positive connection point.  It could have been one of several to choose from.  Goal: find solder point going to ground.  With one probe of the continuity test clipped to the frame of the output jack, I began to probe the many solder points near my red wire point.  Close, but a few points to the Starboard, I found the point.  I trimmed the black wire clean, stripped it back, tinned the end, and by then, had to find the solder point all over again!
I heated up the point and drove my black wire home.  I checked my food on the grill, and we tested it.  It Wah'd, just as he wanted.  He tipped me $ 5.00 when he found out it was my birthday.
The shoddy part of that Wah was, the battery connector should be secured tight to the circuit board, so that the solder connections are not compromised.  I advised him to be aware of the fragility of the shoddy. 


No comments: