Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Seldom seen Gibson Electric

I just did a set up on something I've never run across before, A 1981 Gibson Professional 335-S Deluxe solidbody electric guitar.  After more than 35 years in the music industry, I have never run across this baby.
They made three models, the Professional Deluxe, being the top of it's line.  A double cutaway, two Dirty Fingers pickups, mahogany body and neck, ebony fretboard,bound, and coil tap.
At first I thought the coil tap was added later, but after doing some research, I see Gibson really made it that way.  I found the coil tap to be sorta useless;  too much 60 cycle hum.  I guess no matter what ya do, you can't make a humbucker sound like a single coil Fender!  I brought this matter up to the customer and advised him I could replace all the controls (they have a fine dusty powder-like corrosion all over) and copper shield the body cavities if he chooses to use it as a player VS a collector's item. 

The set up went well and he's happy with it's playability and will think over the notion of re-wiring the guitar.  The pic is off the Internet and my customer's model is beautiful cherry finish.



I love getting new things to work on that I have never seen before!

Stay tuned for the story of restoring and old German Hoyer 12 string!

No comments: