Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Franenstein Tele on Steroids

I got a great mod a few years back, a Mexican Telecaster to dress to the 9's.  A customer brought in his Clapton Strat for some work and in conversation, he said he'd love to have the overdrive chip from the Clapton Strat in his Tele.  That is a pre-amp, powered by a 9V Battery and controlled by the bottom knob on the strat.  As it's turned up, the nice creamy overdrive kicks in.  He got the components on E-Bay, along with new tuners and the cool perloid pick guard, and I set to work.
After disassembling the instrument, I needed to route some space to accommodate the circuit board and battery and of course, the inevitable extra wires.  Next, I had to rewire mini potentiometers to make room for the extra pre-amp boost control.  Instead of the usual 250K pot for volume, I wired in a 25K to handle the post end of the overdrive circuit.  For more fun, I replaced the 3 Way switch with a 4 Way switch, adding two options when both pickups are selected; Parallel, and Series.  The customer supplied me with new black tuners, control knobs, and the perloid pick guard to dress it up.

I put the guitar in his hands, he turned it up, played with the controls, played his heart out and smiled with eyes sparkle!

No comments: