Thursday, April 15, 2010

The resurrection of the Le Brea


Another resurrection of an old friend. Many years ago, while working in a great music store, I sold a Fender LeBrea to a nice man. 20 or so years later, I get a request to repair a friend's guitar, belonging to her father. My friend, I hadn't seen in a dog's age either! It turns out, I did know her dad and indeed sold him the guitar. She got it from her uncle in Kentucky, years later, in stowage. I got it home, opened the case to find it without strings. Further inspection showed the output jack was gone. I found some wires bundled up and tie wrapped to the pre-amp inside the body. After removing the pre-amp, I found the wires going to the pickup and the wires going to the jack were cut, the pickup itself, gone. The jack lead was now too short to go out to the end of the body. My first plan was to unsolder the short wires off the pre-amp and install a new lead of proper length. Closer inspection reveled it would be necessary to completely unsolder and remove the three pots off the pre-amp circuit board. Nah!! Way too much labor. I opted to tack on a length of wire to the existing lead. Ditto for the pickup connections. First, I assembled the entire system out of the guitar and plugged into an amp to test it. Nice, everything seemed to work fine. The original pickup must have been glued somewhere inside near the bridge plate. I had a replacement under the saddle pickup for the repair. I was happy to find out the new pickup was going to act right married to the Le Brea pre-amp! Now to install the new pickup. First, I un-soldered my test connections to the pickup. Next, I had to drill a small hole in the end of the bridge for the pickup wires to feed into the body. Next, I had to re-solder my pickup wires to the pre-amp, install a new jack, re-install the pre-amp, put a fresh 9 V battery into place and tie wrap my wires and secure them out of sight. Now for new strings and the ceremonial test through an amp. It worked fine! Sigh of relief!!! The strings were a bit high off the fingerboard so remove the saddle and sand the bottom and install. Next, the height at the nut could use some adjustment. One string at a time, loosen, move out of the way, and file each nut slot. Replace string, tune to pitch and check. Repeat the steps until the string found it's proper place in the nut slot. Repeat the steps for the remainder of the strings. Test. Nice; I could play this one all night. Tomorrow, a good cleaning and polishing and this baby's ready for Bonnie to play her little pea picken heart out!

No comments: